Thursday, October 7, 2010

Video Killed the Radio Star

I mentioned last week that I am working on promoting the Diversity Visa Lottery.  Today was the day that I was going to talk to the press on Love FM.  Love FM is both a radio and TV station.  By far, it has the largest audience in Belize.  This morning, I was going to appear on their morning show from 830 to 900.

When I arrived in Belize City, I met two of our staff at the radio station.  As we waited for my turn to go on the air, I read a quote they had on the wall that I really enjoyed.  "Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."  - Calvin Coolidge.


Who knew that Calvin Coolidge could be so inspiring?  I love that quote.  I think that I have always worked hard and given my all to everything I do.  Nonetheless, I had been a bit nervous before going on TV until I read that.  At that point, I knew the interview would go well.


We got started a bit late because the earlier segments had run long.  As soon as we got on the air, they asked me a few quick questions and allowed me to talk about the Diversity Visa Lottery.  I think I got the message across about what the visa is and how people can apply.  One of the announcers asked me about the border fence and whether Americans disliked the greencard lottery.  I think I answered both of those questions well.  Because of the late start, we didn't have time to open it up to callers - I didn't mind.


This is also my week as duty officer.  After locking up the Embassy this evening, I had to hurry home to watch the Nebraska game.  Unfortunately, just as the 3rd quarter started, I got a call from the guards at the Embassy that an American had been robbed and needed some help.  I was able to find him a place to stay for the night and we will work on the case tomorrow, but I missed most of the 3rd quarter and the start of the 4th quarter.  Fortunately, the American is okay and Nebraska rolled over Kansas State. 

No comments:

Post a Comment