Monday, December 17, 2012

Running Update

After last Friday's shooting in Connecticut, I needed to get the word "massacre" off my front page, so here is a running update.

I have been steadily working through my couch to 10K program.  I must admit I find this program increasingly more difficult than I did the couch to 5k program.  The main issue is the time commitment to a single run.  With the 5K program, my total time spent stretching, working out, and showering afterwards was about an hour.  In the 10K program, the workout itself is around an hour each time, and I basically have to commit between 90 minutes and 2 hours to get the workout done.  That makes it a whole lot easier to not have the time to do it.

Nonetheless, I have continued working out at least 3 times a week.  Unfortunately, my weight loss has plateaued a bit.  Today, I weighed 255 lbs., which is 30 lbs. lower than my peak, but only one pound less than before Katie's wedding.  I'm worried that Christmas will have a similar effect, but I will hopefully be able to keep running (in the warm Phoenix winter) and limit the desserts.

I had set a new goal to run in and complete the Cherry Blossom 10 miler this spring.  I even encouraged a number of my friends and even my sister to sign up for the lottery with me.  Unfortunately, most of them were selected to run the race, but I was not selected through the lottery.  I still have a couple of options to get into the race (I may be asking for charity donations soon), but if you had told me a year ago that I would be fighting to get into a 10 mile race, I would have laughed at you.


Current statistics:
Weight - 255 lbs (down 30 lbs)
Pant size - 40x30 (I am now in between the 42 and 40, but I can definitely wear a 40, so that is one size down)
Longest run without stopping: 32:54 (My long runs generally go for a total of about an hour, but they include periods of running and walking, so I have not yet bested my longest time in the last 5K)

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Caniglia-

    My name is Trevor Hall, a fellow Husker from Northeast Nebraska. Now living in Denver. I was curious if you had some time in the near future to discuss the Foreign Service Officer exam and prep. I'm thinking about the idea, but just need to make sure its a good fit for my wife and I. Shoot me an email whenever you get a chance.

    Best,

    Trev

    trevallenhall@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete