Thursday, September 22, 2016

The pack-out from Hell

Admittedly, part of this is my fault.  I didn't really purge anything last year when I left Frankfurt.  So I sent 3000 lbs of stuff from Frankfurt to  Riyadh.  I barely remember what's in there and I certainly don't need all of it here.  But as a single person in the foreign service, I had never run up against the 7200 lb weight limit.  So problem 1 was sending too much stuff from Frankfurt to Riyadh.

So, back in April, when the pack-out company sent out their "expert" to do an estimate on our weight for our packout, I was ecstatic to hear him say that all of the stuff in our house, including our outdoor furniture, queen bed, and a couple of couches we wanted to bring would be round 4000 lbs - just under our weight limit.  He said there might be a few hundred lbs difference, but we were willing to send the couches to storage if we needed to.  No big deal.  Listening to this expert was problem 2.

Problem #3 was not really doing any significant purging in DC.  A big part of this is that most of the things in our house in DC were either new things we had bought in the last year or two or were things Sara brought into the marriage.  We both talked about purging things, but really it was me asking her to get rid of her stuff so that we could move to the desert.  Where she couldn't drive.  It wasn't a very good argument on my point and I never really pushed it very far.  I didn't think it mattered --we had enough weight to get all our stuff to Saudi and we could purge there after we had (finally) merged our houses.  This was problem 3.

On Day 1 of our two-day packout, they sent four packers.  They didn't arrive until after 10 and left after filling one full crate and packing a whole bunch more boxes.  Before he left, the head packer told us he thought we might be overweight and that some of the furniture we were planning to take might have to be sent to storage.

On Day 2, they sent 7 packers.  When the lead guy arrived, he told us that we were definitely going to be overweight

No comments:

Post a Comment